Sunday, April 17, 2011

Notes on the Backyard Diner

The backyard is full of birds these days. 

We have a hawk! He (I'm quite sure it is a male by its feather markings) dives down on unsuspecting birds dining at our feeder, and swoops them off their feet. If he has time, he devours them in our yard or otherwise he carries them off in his talons. Someone should have warned him that flying full tilt at a grackle on the feeder, will result in continuing on and hitting the patio door. Nevertheless, he managed to regain his composure and fly off with his prey. I'm not sure if I like him or not. "Just take the grackles, leave the sparrows alone" I warned him. We will see how he behaves! If he frequents our house too much, I will need to stop feeding the birds for a while. We are not a lunch counter. And my 10 year old is not impressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment