Saturday, May 11, 2013

Of May and Mothers...

Mother's Day is almost here! Maybe because it truly marks the beginning of spring for me, maybe because being a mom has been one of my main functions for so many years (30), whatever it is, this day is especially nostalgic for me (in a good way).

First of all, I was blessed with the best mother there ever was, really! I'm not just biased. All my siblings would agree. She was a gracious, loving, and sometimes opinionated woman. She loved us all with an unconditional love. And she had a wonderful close walk with God. It showed in her daily living. We miss her a lot and look forward to seeing her again someday in heaven.
Mom Vanderkloet
Then there is my mother-in-law. She too is a very gracious lady and a lot of fun. At almost 80, she still has a ton of spunk and gets around pretty well! She loves to eat at Burger King and visit every Open House in the real estate market. The lines between loving my own mother and loving her have blurred over the years and since she is the only mom I have here now, I appreciate her so much.
Mom Andrews
And me. I have been a mom for 30+ years and I love it. I think I was groomed for it from the time I was little. I grew up as the youngest of 8 siblings...until I was 5. Then began a long line of foster babies my parents took in and finally a nephew who came to live with us and was much like a younger brother. I was also surrounded by an ever growing crowd of nieces and nephews...and I babysat for dozens of children in our community. Shortly after Gord and I got married, I began running a home daycare and we started adding on children of our own. I am in my fifties and still raising children, a 12 year old and a 14 year old. Its been busy but its great!
Me and my first baby, David

What is really neat though, is that I still get to be surrounded by little people and by some very special mom's as well. We have 5 grandchildren now and I love watching the young women who mother them go through the same experiences I did.

Happy Mother's Day to all you moms out there and especially Kaitlin, Stephanie and Rebecca! You are all doing a wonderful job!

Who can find a virtuous woman? She is far more precious than jewels...
Strength and honor are her clothing, and she can laugh at the time to come.
She opens her mouth with wisdom, and loving instruction is on her tongue.
She watches over the activities of her household and is never idle.
Her sons rise up and call her blessed.
Her husband also praises her:
Many women are capable, but you surpass them all!
Charm is deceptive and beauty is fleeting, but a woman who fears the Lord will be praised.
~Proverbs 31:10, 25-30




5 comments:

  1. Happy Mother's day! That was a very nice tribute to your moms and your first baby was so cute!! Babies are so precious....They are not angels, yet they are angelic and they seem so mysterious for us to behold, almost a different level of being human.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anita. Thanks! Half of my kids will be here. I cooked up a storm today (and went to ikea for fun) so that tomorrow I can rest (after all, it is Sunday also!) I know the food might not taste as good reheated...but I will feel better :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wrote a comment here yesterday but it seems to have disappeared...as have my thoughts, haha. This is a lovely post though, I love that picture of you with your first baby. I've seen it before but I understand the emotion behind it now :) Love you and Happy Mother's day again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I think I would agree - you are certainly groomed for being a mother! It was a joy to spend today with you! :) HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY (yes, again!) ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. So beautiful! You are such an amazing mom and an inspiration to me as well! Your love extends to everyone you meet and touches them in ways that I am certain are so deep and meaningful! Hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day! Blessings to your continuously growing family - you are all truly blessed and are a blessings!

    ReplyDelete