Friday, March 8, 2013

Day 8... A Bad Habit


Three photos, one bad habit! I *blush* am a stasher. My kids know this. I can  prepare a house for a showing or company, faster than you can count to 100. There are so many cool hiding places! Under the couch...great for board games, newspapers, socks, etc. Kitchen junk drawer...great for anything that will fit and still let the drawer close, bins....great to load up and stash in my bedroom closet. The list goes on. As you can see, prior to anyone coming, our bed and the kitchen table are also great places for piling stuff. (That laundry is clean, its the putting away that kills me.)

At some point however, things need to be brought out in the open and put away. I plug away at this bit by bit. I sit crosslegged on the floor in my bedroom and sort through bins of crayons and soap carvings, drawings and toys, tools and craft supplies. And I think....this habit of mine is a little like sin.

 He who conceals his transgressions will not prosper,
But he who confesses and forsakes them will find compassion. Proverbs 28:13

My spiritual health can too be plagued by 'stashing'...by tucking little things that 'don't really matter' into corners of my heart. At some point I need to look them square in the eye and confess them, correct them, clean them out.

I am doing pretty good at conquering this physical stashing habit. Once all the kids are grown and gone, I'm sure I will have figured it out. The spiritual one however, won't be completed until I step into the presence of Christ. And I am thankful that He is willing to do the cleansing.

3 comments:

  1. I can be a stasher too - though God has worked on me ingredibly the last few years, but it's still a default of mine! :P I like that verse - going to have to remember it, it's agood one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, true Anita. Thanks for the verse. And thank the Lord for Work in my heart!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a junk drawer too. After not using anything in it for a few years, I need to close my eyes and dump the contents...of all those "treasures" I thought might be useful! I like how you tied a spiritual lesson for us into this...neat how God works through our normal everyday life!

    ReplyDelete